Saturday, October 17, 2009

Some Mistakes I've Made with SCDiet

1) Only paying attention to WHAT food is allowed and not including the WHEN, HOW, WHY. Yes, it is important to know what is "legal" and "illegal" to eat, but that is not the only consideration. There is a reason for the introductory part of the diet- it soothes the gut on top of eliminating foods that cannot be digested properly. Chicken soup, made from the whole chicken, skin and bones, has healing properties. Gelatin works wonders for upset tummies. Food has now become medicine for me, so I decide what to eat based on how I am feeling and performing. Whenever my stomach revolts, it is time to have chicken stock.

2) Eating too much product made from nuts- especially almond flour. Eating the same thing all the time because it is "legal" on SCDiet is a good way to attain a new food intolerance issue. Because I was trying to eat American and replace bread products with similar substances made out of almond flour, I now cannot tolerate any almond flour or almond products. Nuts are hard for any person to digest, and many people on SCDiet cannot tolerate them. I finally had to give up on trying to make replacement foods for the SAD (Standard American Diet) foods that are considered ever so important in our culture. Why on earth was I trying to mimic the diet that got me and so many other Americans sick? Duh, that's not a good idea.

3) Cheating every now and again because I "needed a treat" for being so "good" the rest of the time. Cheating is just a form of cruelty. It isn't being nice at all, not even for just a moment. That moment will produce many more moments of hurt. Limits and discipline can actually set a person free. When I feel good, there's less need for something to soothe me; so, keeping the machine in good working order with routine maintenance is better than fixing it after it breaks from neglect. Cheating just means more mess to clean up, and it departs from pursuing the goal of wellness. The times when I think that I want to cheat the most are the times when it would be the worst to do so. Those are weak moments in need of more support, not justification for self-abuse.

4) Going off the diet too early because I was "better." I started adding in "illegal" food as soon as I thought I could handle it. Because I had been so sick for so long, it didn't take a ton of improvement for me to call it success. If only I had comprehended just how far I had yet to go, and how much set back this behavior caused me, then I would not have strayed. If an injured player is put back on the field before the injury is healed, then the likelihood of that player incurring further injury that could end his/her playing career forever is high. Why risk it for one game or one season when I have my WHOLE LIFE ahead of me? Is it more important to live and live well, or to eat a particular food for 30 seconds in my mouth?

These are not the only mistakes I have made.

2 comments:

  1. This is a question for you in general, non-related to your last post. I've heard that you've researched ciliacs disease and effective and safe probiotics for this condition. My ten year old son has been struggling with severe digestive malfunction for the last two years, possibly ciliacs. In your opinion, what is the best probiotic to feed him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would avoid all of the bifido genus. Dr. Haas discovered that his celiac patients all had a major overgrowth of this genus and that they all responded poorly to supplementation with it. I have discovered that this is very true for myself. I have a terrible reaction to it every time I have tried, and since eliminating it permanently from my diet my healing has sped up markedly. I mean, what a remarkable difference a little difference can make!!!

    That said, I have found acidophilus to be what I need most. While bifidus strains reside in the small intestine, where celiac disease is found, acidophilus resides in the large intestine. Bulgaricus is a transient bacteria, meaning that it helps move things from one end of the digestive system to the other. It is one of the most coveted bacteria in history. It does good things for me.

    Trying to rebalance the microbes is what it is all about for me. I do not believe in any good or bad microbes. I have found the notion of all good or all evil microbes untrue through experience and research. There is simply overpopulation and underpopulation, which I hypothesize could be the basis for all disease. Finding each person's unique culture is the quest. No one is exactly the same because we all have come into contact with different microbes over our lifetime and have different environments and situations to work within.

    I hope this helps you, and I will address this topic more in a future blog post.

    ReplyDelete